Crypto Blog

Okies Promise: Raising Awareness of Animal and Child Abuse

artwork by artist BZTATFrom the artist BZTAT

Welcome to Okey’s Promise.This is a site to share information about a public art project designed to create awareness about the connections between animal maltreatment, child abuse and domestic violence. Statistics back up my own anecdotal experience as a therapist for trauma survivors.The purpose of Okey’s Promise, named for a small rescued cat, is to create artworks that will be prominently viewed in the community to generate interest and awareness. They will be positive in nature. The purpose is to remind us of the riches we have in helping those who are most vulnerable in society.
Video by artist BZTAT
I decided to wait to launch the fund raising for Okey’s Promise until I had a few things more confirmed. Although there are still issues to be addressed, I have enough support for the project now to ensure it’s success. So here goes!Kickstarter Campaign here. Making a pledge is a commitment to providing funds for the project if I reach the total goal. If I do not reach my goal of $5000.00 in pledges, then nothing will happen. If I do reach my goal (I plan to exceed it!) then Amazon will automatically deduct your pledge from the payor source that you designate.
Kickstarter page, I am offering goodies for anyone who pledges $1 or more. Of course I want some big pledges, but I value and appreciate anyone who pledges at any level. Okey and I thank you for any amount that you pledge!!!
Thanks to the efforts of the indefatigable Caroline Golon, Public Relations Guru Extraordinaire of Romeo the Cat fame, I will have an extensive PR and national media campaign to publicize the project. BUT I ALSO NEED YOU! and
I have found that it is the hand to hand, paw to paw, word of mouth, Facebook and Tweet networking that makes the most difference with launching projects like this. Even if you have no resources to pledge, you can help by getting the word out to others who may be interested.
How exactly will the initial mural be raising awareness? How will people viewing the mural know that the artwork refers to the connections between animal abuse, child abuse and domestic violence? The initial mural will have a brightly colored image of a child, a dog and a cat. Beneath the image will be the words, “Safe Animals Safe Kids”. In the background will be collage elements that more clearly illustrate the connections between animal abuse, child abuse and domestic violence. There will also be signage accompanying the mural to give some reference to the topic. The idea is that the image will create interest and then begin a community discussion that extends from the artwork but, hopefully, takes on a life of its own.
How will “Okey’s Promise” help those in domestic/animal abuse situations? The awareness raised through Okey’s Promise will hopefully lead to more focused and collaborative efforts within the community to address the issues related to animal abuse and domestic violence. The increased awareness within the community will lead to better identification of people and animals at risk, and hopefully, more support for targeted assistance to those in need.

Idle Talk: