Crypto Blog

Davinia's Story: 6 Months to the Day


Warning: This is a graphic post and includes x-rays. These are the facts about what happened 6 months ago nothing more nothing less.

_______________________________

My Statement:

At approximately 11pm on December 26, 2009, I took my two dogs, “Davinia” and “Indiana” (both pedigree Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (about 15 lbs. each)), on their leashes for their evening walk. We live at XXX I made a right turn out of my driveway, heading South. We walked past about 6 or 7 houses when a very large strange dog appeared from behind a neighbor’s house.

Before I could do anything to react, another dog appeared from nowhere and cornered me and my dogs between them. We were terrified. I tried to get my dogs out of the way or pick them up but, before I could do anything, the two of them attacked Davinia.
I cannot possibly tell you exactly how long their attack lasted. They were at my feet and banging into me. One of the dogs sank its teeth into the front of Davinia and the other grabbed her back. My other dog, Indiana, was cowering and tried to run behind me. The two large dogs were trying to tug Davinia off her leash and away from me. Davinia was screaming in pain, I was wrapped up in the leashes, swinging, kicking and screaming, but the attacking dogs did not care.
The dogs continued to attack Davinia, constantly trying to pull her away from me. Davinia at this point went silent. I managed to pick Indiana up, hoping that the two attacking dogs would not try to get at her, too. My screaming alerted a neighbor, who flashed their front porch lights on and off. Another neighbor arrived home at that moment, got out of his Minivan and ran over screaming to try and scare the dogs away. The dogs finally dropped Davinia into a pool of her own blood and ran off. Davinia was limp and barely responsive. The neighbor said he would drive me to the Emergency Animal Hospital with Davinia, and that Indiana could stay with his family.
At this point, a police vehicle arrived. I quickly told them what happened and whose dogs had attacked us (I realized the two dogs were from the construction site around the corner). The neighbor drove me back to my house so I could pick up my purse and phone, and we went straight to the Hospital. Davinia’s gums were gray and she was bleeding all over. She was still conscious but barely responsive.
At the Animal Hospital, the veterinarians and staff spent an hour stabilizing Davinia, conducted three hours of emergency life-saving surgery, and then stitched back together three of her legs. They took x-rays to see what other damage was caused. Among other things, they told me that Davinia’s pelvis was broken on both sides and fractured in multiple places. She also had muscle loss in both her front and back legs. Davinia’s temperature dropped dangerously low while she was on the operating table, so they had to wake her up from the anesthesia, put her in an oxygen and heating kennel with warming blankets and warm water bottles, and then continue. Her condition was still critical and unstable.I finally made it home at about 5:30 in the morning covered in Davinia’s blood, and cried.
***********

These are X-Rays from the first night. You can see the Trach still in. Before they woke her up from Surgery they took complete body X-Rays. You can also see the numerous drains she had to have put in. What the X-rays don't show is that for every staple there was a stitch somewhere on or inside of her body. You also can't see the extensive nerve damage or her missing muscle.

Idle Talk: