Crypto Blog

Hotel Tries Evicting Veteran with Service Dog

An Iraq war veteran was on the verge of being kicked out of her temporary home because of her service dog.

KOB Eyewitness News 4 cameras were rolling as police showed up.
“My little buddy here, my battle buddy—this is Memphis,” said Erin Hunt, introducing her dog.
Retired Army Sergeant Erin Hunt is recovering from post traumatic stress disorder. Helping her is Memphis, a service dog given to her by the non profit “Paws and Stripes.”

“I smile now; it was very hard for me to smile before,” said Hunt.
But there were no smiles Monday morning after she says the hotel manager confronted her about her dog.

“Memphis and I were going to have to go immediately,” said Hunt.
She called James Stanek at Paws and Stripes for help and others in the organization also showed up with their dogs. “We do not need to provide paperwork on that. As long as she is with an accredited organization like Paws and Stripes, she is legitimately taken care of,” said Stanek.

The Americans with Disabilities Act states: “Refusal to provide equal access to people with disabilities with service animals is a federal violation.”

Stanek says the manager didn’t like hearing that.
“She placed her hands on me and pushed me away,” she continued.

Our camera was rolling as police arrived. In the end, management changed its mind: Hunt is getting to stay and no federal violations were found. “I think I’ve 80 percent gotten comfortable with my place in life - I’ve gotten a new lease I feel like,” said Hunt.

Idle Talk: